Feta Cheese, Sun-dried tomato & Spinach Puff Pastry
A delicious homemade vegetarian puff pastry recipe
There's nothing better than homemade food and making meals with random leftover ingredients in your kitchen. Over the Easter holiday me and my sister made this tasty feta cheese, sun-dried tomato & spinach puff pastry. We had a bag of frozen spinach that had been in the freezer for a couple of months and half a jar of sun-dried tomatoes in the fridge that we wanted to use up, so we got 'Googling' what we could make with it and then headed to the supermarket to buy some Jus Rol puff pastry and feta cheese.
Jus Rol Puff Pastry ready rolled
400g feta cheese
5-6 pieces of sun-dried tomatoes
1 red onion diced
Melted butter for brushing
25 g of butter
1. Preheat oven to 190c
2. Dice the onion and add to a wok or frying pan, with 25g of butter.
3. Add the fresh or frozen spinach to the onions and gently saute. As spinach contains a lot of water, you won't need to use oil because as soon as the heat gets to the leaves it will quickly begin to wilt.
4. Add the onions and spinach into a bowl and wait for it to cool down
5. Add the sun-dried tomatoes, and feta cheese by breaking it up and mixing with the rest of the ingredients in the bowl.
6. Don't take the rolls of pastry out the fridge until your ready to use them straight away.
7. Follow the instructions on your ready rolled puff pastry, I recommend using a loose bottomed flan tin or lining the bottom with grease proof paper so the pastry doesn't stick to the tin.
8. Place a sheet of ready rolled pastry down on the kitchen side and place the circular tin you are using to cut a circle shape to use for the top of the pastry.
9. Then line the bottom of your tin with the ready rolled pastry and allow it to overlap the sides.
10. Lightly brush the pastry with melted butter.
11. Only add the ingredients on-top of the pastry if they are cool if the ingredients are warm it will result in a puff pastry with a soggy bottom, which you don't want.
12. Then add the circular top and fold in the edges around the side to remove any gaps, and brush the pastry with melted butter again lightly.
13. Bake for approximately 20 minutes until it's crisp and golden brown.